Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Things Happen

     Hello there! This is Lindsay, and this is my story. 

     It has been 6 years today (October 3rd) that I was in a head on collision with a fatality to the other driver. For the past 6 years my experience has been private to me except for times that I felt prompted to share it. The other day I was thinking about how this day was coming up and remembering that day 6 years ago and what I thought the day would be like. I always made the day as kind of a slightly cursed day for me. For a few years I didn't even want to drive my car on that day and if I had to I was afraid I would get in another car accident. 

     Let me share with you my experience that helped me learn to not blame Heavenly Father. Now this is the long version because I have yet to really explain to someone every detail of what happened. It was a warm October afternoon (unlike the one we had today in Northern Utah) and high school had just got out for the day. I was on my way to my new job that I had for 2 days. My new employer needed a drug test from me and wanted me to have that done before I got to work that afternoon. Well I'm not very good with directions and trying to find places that I had no idea existed. So after circling the are of this drug test place with no luck of finding it I decided to head to work with an explanation that I would get it done tomorrow. So by this time I had been driving in my car for a little while throughout town. As I was making my way to work I started feeling tired, so I rolled down my windows, turned the a/c full blast, and turned up the radio. These things didn't seem to work. The next thought that came into my head, and I have to believe it was the Spirit, was to pull over and take a few min. to sleep. Well I was so nervous about being late to my new job that I told myself that I didn't have time to pull over. I had to make a good impression of course! I continued to feel tired, and the next thing I knew I had collided with another vehicle. Head on. The world stopped. I couldn't believe what had just happened. My windshield was shattered and cracked, the whole front of my car was smashed, my air bag was out and the glove box exploded from it's place with napkins everywhere. Honestly my first thought, "Oh man Dads gonna be so mad at me!" I then looked up to see the other vehicle and wanted to get out and see if they were okay. My door was jammed and I had no energy to fight it. My car was totaled. Before I knew it there were police and an ambulance at the site asking me all sorts of questions. The only humorous thing about this whole thing is how naive I am about some things. My door was finally opened and the officer asked me if I had anything to drink. My reply was, "Well I had a sprite about an hour ago." Of course that's not what they were meaning but I had no idea at the time. Anyway, as the medics were checking up on me and bracing my neck, I saw other medics drag the other driver onto the side walk and started giving her CPR. I think that's when the shock kicked in. The World seemed lighter and it felt like I was watching a movie of these people trying to bring this life back. I watched the scene with a blank stare and mind not really sure what to think. So much was happening. I was then placed on a stretcher and put in the ambulance to be brought to the hospital. I will say this though, They cut up my tennis shirt, and favorite pants to see if there were any damage. I knew what was hurting, I could feel it, and it wasn't anywhere where they had to cut my clothes and check. But of course I kept quiet and let them do their thing. It wasn't until I was lying on a hospital bed when I saw my Dad (Mom got there before Dad) that I finally cried. I was still afraid Dad would be mad at me for what I had done. But of course I have been blessed with a loving Daddy who knew this moment was meant for discipline, but for comfort and healing. I then received a blessing from him and my Brother. I was released from the hospital with no serious damage and deep bruises on my arm and waist from my seat belt and an abrasion (like a carpet burn) on my chin. My seat belt saved my life. Literally. The police said I would have died if I wasn't wearing it. The next morning is when I found out that the other driver had been killed. . . . I can't even think of a word for how I felt. I instantly cried and blamed myself. But not once did I blame Heavenly Father. 

     Here's where wonderful things happened. It took me awhile to accept that it wasn't my fault, and honestly a small part of me still believes it is, but I don't let it affect me anymore. I turned to my Heavenly Father for understanding and comfort, I used the Atonement of Jesus Christ to release my pain. I have learned so much from this experience and can relate it to so many things in life. It's amazing! As sad as this ACCIDENT was, it has been a blessing in disguise for me to use for myself and for others. Things just happen. Heavenly Father lets them happen for the purpose of learning and being strengthened. He is not cursing us when bad things happen to good people. He can't let good things happen all the time with no bad. No learning would happen. All things have their opposite. Even good. I received so much love from so many people I knew. My room was filled with beautiful flowers, cards, and stuffed animals all in hopes that I was feeling better and that they loved me. 

     The overall reason I share this story with you is in hopes that this can help you in some way. Whether it be in learning to trust in God instead of questioning why and blaming Him. Or understanding that we can learn from mistakes or from accidents. Or that we can indeed receive comfort and love from our Heavenly Father and that Christs Atonement is REAL! Or you can have it help you in some other way. Something that my Mom said to me once after this accident was that one day when I leave this Earth and go to Heaven, that me and the other driver will see each other and embrace each other with love and understanding. I know this person would not want me to live my life in darkness for "what I had done". I can't wait for this Heavenly reunion. 

     Things happen for a reason. How are you going to handle the situation that will define the rest of your life?

4 comments:

  1. You are strong! And how we handle the toughest things this world has to offer, does define us and refine us and teach us the lessons we came here to learn! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay!! You are my hero!! I love you and am so proud of you! I also am grateful for the experiences I have had and the ways I have been able to use the Atonement in my life for healing! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! It's really amazing the power of the Atonement and am forever grateful to my Savior for doing that for me

      Delete